Feculent : A Tale of Roro Jonggrang


Here's a little insomniac treat for you, darlings. A repackage of Indonesian myth, Roro Jonggrang. Originally made for an assignment. Enjoy.

>>>>><<<<<

Humans’ lives are full of prejudice. Fear. Expectation. Rule. Myth.
Stories are being passed on from generation to generation. And whatever stories you are told, all you must do is receive, believe, and pass on.
But have you ever wonder if all the stories you are told is true?
Because humans are full of flaws, and the telling of obscure lies, is one of them.
>>> 
The raven haired lady set down her quill and carefully rolled up the papers. Mournfully, she looked outside her windows while gently stroking the red pendant on her neck.
“It is time,” she murmured.
She took off her pendant, a dagger, and put it together with the papers inside a box. Then she stood up, and left.
>>> 
“Commander, our troops are already in standby.”
“How’s the condition in Prambanan?”
“Quiet, sir. They still don’t see us coming.”
“Good. How about the palace defences?”
“Not a problem, sir. We can take them on.”
“Very well. Proceed to attack.”
“Yes sir.”
Bondowoso drew his mighty weapon, Bandung, and took a deep breath. Soon, he would face the mighty giant Prabu Baka. He was not sure whether he would win. But this is an order of his king, and he was only to obey.
>>> 
Jonggrang was asleep in her spacious chamber which filled by various things. Bookshelves are lined up on one side, embroideries and weaves on another, and in the middle, a table, a set of bow and arrows, and a small dagger.
Noises that came out from outside the chamber awakened Jonggrang. The oil lamp in her chamber was still brightly lit. She could see from the window that the sky was still dark, dawn was still far away.  So what was the noises?
She opened her door and was greeted by the faces of two guards. Both of them were trying to assure her to go back to sleep.
“How do you expect me to go back to sleep when there are so many odd noises out there? I’m going to find my father,” said Jonggrang.
“But my lady…”
The two guards were still trying to persuade her to go back to her chamber, but Jonggrang’s mind was set. She needed to know what was happening.
She strode wilfully towards her father’s throne room. But was startled when she found out that the usually quiet and orderly place was in chaos.
Servants were coming in and out without stopping, some of his father’s highest commanders were in heated arguments, their faces are tense. The concubines at one corner of the room were wailing and sobbing. But in all that chaos, Jonggrang didn't see her father.
“My lord, what is going on here? Why is this place so frenzied? Where is my father?” asked Jonggrang to one of the commanders.
The arguments were abruptly halted, and all of the men stared at Jonggrang with pity in their eyes. The one commander whom Jonggrang asked finally spoke.
“Roro Jonggrang, my lady, a few hours ago we were suddenly attacked by King Pengging’s army. This attack was truly a shock because we have quite a balanced relationship with Pengging. And on top of that… Prabu Baka… was killed… by a Pengging warrior called Bondowoso…”
The ground felt like crumbling away under Jonggrang’s feet upon hearing the news. All of her life, she always thought that her father is invincible. But in reality, her father was doomed by the hand of a mere mortal Pengging warrior.
In her sorrows, a sudden realization hit Jonggrang. She suddenly understood the reason why her father, a mighty giant king, can be defeated by a mere human.
Jonggrang’s hands clutched tightly around a bright red pendant on her neck as she wailed in agony.
>>> 
“Jonggrang!” A deep voice thundered the morn.
A beautiful girl with hair dark as the night turned her head and smiled. She abandoned the book she was reading and cheerfully approached the hideous giant without an ounce of fear.
“Yes, Father.”
The giant smiled and gently stroked his daughter’s head.
“Today is your 13th birthday. I have prepared a very special gift for you.”
Prabu Baka the giant took out a tear-shaped pendant and tenderly hooked it on his daughter.
Jonggrang touched her father’s gift in awe, “This is so beautiful, Father.”
“Not only beautiful, my child. Inside the pendant I also have pass down my power and my magic. Remember to always wear it and never take it off. With this, no one will be able to hurt you, even if I’m not beside you.”
Little Jonggrang smiled innocently and nodded, “Yes, Father.”

“Commander! Pengging’s army has defeated ours and now they’re starting to enter the palace as I speak.”
“Was the warrior Bondowoso with them?” cut Jonggrang.
“Y-yes, my lady.”
“Then bring me my dagger. Whatever happens, I will avenge my father.”
>>> 
Bondowoso stepped cautiously inside the palace of Prambanan. Everything went just as he planned. Aside from one thing that bothered him. The giant king Prabu Baka.
Bondowoso was powerful among his people. But against the mighty giant king who had lived much longer than he is, he knew he was only a child. He was well aware that his chance to even survive the fight with the giant was slim. He understood that and he already reserved his life on the hands of fate.
Somewhere in the back of his mind, he was relieved if he was to be killed by the giant king. Bondowoso never liked the idea of conquest. Too much to sacrifice and more often than not without a noble purpose. But to guarantee the lives of his siblings, he accepted the offer of his king and led the army of Pengging to conquer Prambanan.
But it turned out that he managed to defeat the giant king without any significant wound. And the thought unsettled him.
Bondowoso arrived at the throne room. A lot of people were there. Pengging’s army with their weapons drawn, Prambanan’s officials with their weapons stripped down, and concubines with trembling body. But there was only one presence that caught Bondowoso’ eyes.
A tall girl, with hair dark as ink and eyes fierce as flame. Her stance proud and unafraid. Every inch of her body was screaming nobility.
This must be the king’s daughter, Bondowoso mused. The rumors are true. She is indeed breathtakingly beautiful.
Bondowoso stepped in front of the princess and hailed.
“No need for the false courtesy. Just state your request,” cut Jonggrang sharply.
Bondowoso must admit that this girl had guts.
“The king of Pengging requested that Prambanan was to willingly surrender to the king. If the request is fulfilled, the king will send his representation to manage the government and pull back his army,” said Bondowoso. “Three days are given to think over this carefully.”
“And what if we don’t fulfill this request?”
“Well, my lady, I’m afraid we will resort to take over with force,” answered Bondowoso calmly.
>>> 
Times are relative.
And sometimes, even though it feels short, the memories in those short times are priceless.
>>> 
“You’re bold, for a princess.”
“And you’re young, for a mass murderer.”
“I don’t enjoy killing. I do it because I must.”
“Oh really? To ensure your position in the kingdom?”
“No. To protect the people I love.”
“You’re not the only one who have someone you love.”
>>> 
“I never meant to kill the king. I was sure I’ll be the one killed by his hand.”
“Is that supposed to be an apology? To make me feel better?”
“No. I just think that you deserve to know.”
“Well I don’t see the need. Besides, didn't you say you have people to protect? What about them? How do you protect them if you’re dead?”
“If I die on the field my siblings will be treated as a family of a hero. They’ll be fine without me.”
“You are really insensitive.”
“Pardon me?”
“Don’t you think about their feelings? They will be taken care of, yes. Their life would be easy. But it is the life their brother pays with his life. Every time they close their eyes on their soft, warm bed they’ll see you and remember that this good life they live is courtesy to their brother’s death. They’ll be miserable. It’ll be their curse.”
“I… never thought of it that way…’
“That’s because you’re an idiot.”
>>> 
“Jonggrang, I want you to marry me.”
“No need to ask me. Ask that king of yours.”
“But I want you to willingly marry me.”
“You attacked my home, you hurt my people, you killed my father. And you’re asking me to willingly marry you. You’re a much bigger idiot than I thought you were.”
>>> 
Jonggrang locked herself in her chamber. These last three days had been exhausting. With all arguments with the officials about the future of Prambanan and also, the little chats she had with the man who was supposed to be her mortal enemy.
Bondowoso.
When she swore to avenge his father, she never thought that it would be this hard. She had several chances to kill Bondowoso when they were alone in the garden. But instead of stabbing him, she was conversing. And each day, the dagger behind the fold of her dress were getting heavier.
A single tear escaped from her eyes and rolled down her cheek, “Father please forgive me.”
>>> 
“Bondowoso.”
The highest commander of Pengging turned his head and saw Jonggrang who stood with a stern expression on her face.
“I accept.”
“Well then, I will proceed to inform the king about the surrender…”
“Not your king’s request. The answer of your king’s request will be announced later on by the officials. But surely you understand perfectly that we don’t have a choice,” said Jonggrang. “I accept your proposal. I will marry you.”
Bondowoso’s face lit up and Jonggrang’s insides felt crushed.
“But with some conditions.”
“Name it.” Said Bondowoso eagerly.
“Build me a thousand temples and two wells. In a night.”
“Consider it done,” smiled Bondowoso.
>>> 
Thus, that night, Bondowoso summoned all his ally and ordered them to help him. They worked without food, drink, or rest. They worked and worked until there was only one temple left.
Jonggrang who had been watching the progress hurriedly called her servants. She told them to burn the straws and hitting the kitchen utensils so it felt like dawn and Bondowoso’s allies that mostly consisted of spirits would leave.
Jonggrang’s plan succeeded, Bondowoso failed to finish the last temple until the real dawn arose.
>>> 
“It is time,” murmured Jonggrang.
She took off her pendant and her dagger, then put it together with the papers inside a box. Then she stood up, and left her chamber.
“Auntie,” she called one of the servant who used to take care of her when she was a child.
“Yes, my lady,” the aged woman hurriedly approached Jonggrang.
“I have a favour to ask, will you kindly give me a hand, please?”
“Of course, my lady. If I can be any help.”
“There is a box on the table in my chamber. I need you to throw it into the well that was made by Bondowoso. Either well is fine, as long as you don’t open the box and do it unseen. No one can know about this, auntie. This is a secret between you and me, okay?”
“Yes, my lady. But where are you going?”
Jonggrang smiled gently, “I need to meet Bondowoso.”
“Okay… Just be careful, my lady. That man…”
“I know, auntie. Thank you for worrying about me, but right now all you can do is fulfil the favour I asked you.”
“Yes, certainly, my lady.”
>>> 
“You cheated!” spat Bondowoso. His face was red with rage. “If you don’t want to marry me then just say so, you don’t need to do… all this.”
Jonggrang stared blankly at Bondowoso, “I do what I do.”
“You… your heart is as hard as rock! Be it! May your body hardened as your rock-hard heart and be the one thousandth temple!”
Jonggrang closed her eyes and prayed for Bondowoso, “I am sorry, Bondowoso. May you live your life in plenty and happiness, surrounded by those you love and love you back. Forget about me.”
Jonggrang swore to avenge his father, but even when there were chances to kill Bondowoso, she didn't have the heart to do it. Because in reality, the warrior who had killed his father was only a man who wanted to protect his beloved.
Jonggrang was trapped. She couldn’t bear to kill Bondowoso, but she couldn’t bear to betray her own vow to her father either.
So she chose to follow her father, and set Bondowoso free.
>>> 
Somewhere, deep inside the dark, a bronze box still waiting in silence.
Because the tales you’re told are just obscured lies.
>>>>><<<<<

[title and some of the contents edited from original posting]

Comments

  1. Btw ra aku inget ada novel gabungan sci-fi dan historical tentang roro jonggrang, sebenernya bisa jadi seru tapi penulisnya ga jago nulis :v


    Isinya plot twist kenapa jonggrang gamau nikah ama bandowoso. Dia jatuh cinta ama cowo lain, dan akhirnya dia tersegel kayak putri tidur :v

    Terus dia bangun karna dibangunin keturunan cowo yang dia suka, yang entah kenapa mirip banget ama leluhur dia (keinget sammy dan leo). Cliche.


    Terus sad ending, jadi bukunya kulempar entah kemana dan gak kubuka lagi. Aku nemu di asrama waktu smp ahahahaha

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Siapa Bilang 'Grepe -Grepe' Itu Nggak Baik?

Back to the Office! Tips Pilih Tas Kerja yang Paling Pas Buatmu

5 Tas Kerja Pilihan Terbaik